Thursday, June 23, 2011

It's The Little Things

If you been in a church for any length of time you have probably heard the phrase, "it's the little foxes that spoil the vine..." I was thinking about this phrase one day and decided to look it up in the Bible. I found it in Song of Solomon 2:14 - 16 which says, "O my dove, that art in the clefts of the rock, in the secret places of the stairs, let me see thy countenance, let me hear thy voice; for sweet is thy voice, and thy countenance is comely. Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes. My beloved is mine, and I am his: he feedeth among the lilies."

What the Lord showed me while I was looking at this phrase, is just as it is the little things (The little foxes.) that can wear down your marriage and bring it to ruin, it is the little things that we do right in our marriage that build it up. You know, it's not really the big things in my marriage to Cheryl that ever trip us up. Usually because the big things are so noticeable, that we immediately fix them. It's those little things, the laundry not in the hamper, the trash not taken out or a kind word not given even when it is deserved that usually make us stumble.

I know you've been there, you do something you think your wife will appreciate, and she either doesn't notice at all, or critiques the job you did. Or she thinks to make your favorite dinner, you enjoy it but forget to thank her for the effort. We all do these things, even though we usually are not trying to hurt our spouse in the process. We truly just didn't think about it, because it is a "little thing".

I think that one of the greatest things I ever do for my bride is to say, "Thank you." That simple little phrase conveys a great deal, and can show that I've noticed unlike anything else will. We need to appreciate our spouse, and let them know it. You know I find it funny that on the day that Jesus was baptized by John in the Jordan river, God Himself spoke that He was well pleased with Jesus. I think that if God felt the need to affirm Jesus, then how much more should we affirm those around us too?

Just remember, it is the little things that will mess up your marriage, and it is the little things that will make your marriage great! Keep at it kids, marriage may be hard at times, but it is still the best life that I know of. God bless you as you take care of those little things.



No comments:

Post a Comment